10 Foods To Avoid Feeding Your Pet

October 27, 2020
It is always useful to have a quick reminder of the toxic foods for your pet...
Amy Klotz

Most of the time there is nothing to worry about. But sometimes it could be very serious, and if not treated in time it could lead to death. If you are unsure if your pet ingested something poisonous or toxic, please don’t hesitate to directly call the ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Center Phone) at (888) 426-4435!

Alcohol & drugs

Alcohol, drugs, or products containing alcohol and drugs are dangerous for your pet. Due to the fact the drugs and alcohol alter your nervous system, it will alter your beloved pet’s nervous system too. It could lead to vomiting, central nervous system depression, coma or death.
If your veterinarian has prescribed drugs to your pet, you should -of course- give it to your pet as recommended.  

Avocados

With avocados, the main concern is cardiovascular damage. It only impacts ruminants pets like birds, horses, donkeys or goats. Although, if the pit is ingested by any small animal it could cause an intestinal obstruction.

Methylxanthines

Methylxanthines are found in cacao-based products, such as chocolate and coffee. Note that the methylxanthine level is higher when the chocolate is darker. When it ingested by your pet, it could cause vomiting, hyperactivity, seizures or death.  

Chicken bones

When a pet bites down on the bones and swallows them, shards of the bones can splint off and pierce the intestines. The bones can also get lodged in the throat or cause severe stomach upset and vomiting.  

Yeast Dough

When swallowed the yeast dough will rise and cause gas to accumulate into your pet’s stomach. It could cause the stomach to bloat and become a life-threatening emergency.  

Grapes & Raisins

We don’t actually know what exactly is toxic in grapes and raisins, but it could cause kidney failure to your loved pet. Even if just one grape or raisin is ingested.  Raw/undercooked meat and eggs. For the same reasons that it’s bad for our digestive system, eating raw meat and eggs could lead to skin and coat problems for your pet.  

Salt & Salty Snack Foods

Giving salt or salty snacks to your pet will lead to increased thirst, increased urination and/or ion poisoning to your pet. The first symptoms will be vomiting, elevated body temperature or seizures for example. Nuts, Almonds, pecans, and walnuts, for example, contain a high level of oils and fats. It might eventually cause pancreatitis to your pet if it ingests nuts in large quantities.  

Xylitol

It is a sweeter used in a lot of products such as gum, candy, or toothpaste. It may cause insulin release for your furry friend, which leads to hypoglycemia. The first signs will be vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination.  

If your pet eats something you are not sure of, don’t hesitate to call directly ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Center Phone) at (888) 426-4435!

Find out more food that is toxic for your pet: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets
⟵  Back to blog

Contact

(866)-744-7807
1801 W Belle Plaine Ave,  
Suite 205, Chicago, IL  60613

Subscribe to
our Newsletter

Veterinarians:
Pet Owners: